onsdag 20 november 2013

Entering a new world of food!







I set out to explore a new way of combining my food and the ingredients in it. I wanted to be radical but healthy and not paranoid. So removing carbs for instance I didn´t have the idea to avoid it totally, just see how I could find ingredients with less carbohydrates but with good healthy nutritional value still. Also foods that would make me feel good and help me stick to the change. I started an adventure really in exploring foodstuffs around. I didn´t want to diet, but change my food. Dieting the body feels it is starving and will save energy. I wanted to burn.

What could I replace for the things I was used to eating ? I didn´t want to weigh and measure portions for instance. Since I felt after a while it will be too tiresome and the risk is to give up. I wanted to be able to feel good and enjoy what I was doing. I felt I got a new hobby really, exploring food, not starving myself to diet for a short time.

I decided to give up the idea me and my daughter would eat the same, even if we are just two.  I decided I will cook differently, even if cooking for just the two of us. More work, but I was determined.

I started to look for things to replace my customary ingredients with.  Mostly looking for the level of carbohydrates in the various foodstuffs. I would even look at the calories. But what I found as I started to look was also all the other nutrients that are in various foods that I never knew about before. Vitamins and minerals in simple vegetables I almost never used, or at least very seldom. And it has been like a new world opened up with all this healthy foodstuffs. Also cheap foodstuffs! And through looking at the Vietnamese and Asien kitchen and searching for receipts I found so many ways to use the ingredients in very tasty ways and also how to keep the nutrients when preparing dishes, new ways according to Scandinavian cooking methods. And I learned how to make all these really tasty dishes I never knew before, and not to make myself! 

Here is just a quick overview of some common foodstuffs and the level of carbohydates per 100 g as an example of my exploration.



Also I read about studies showing how various foodstuffs I really had ignored prevented different illnesses. So many things I really never knew about different foodstuffs. I could see all this would just give me so many benefits. I really felt so excited in my new exploration and new adventure in the world of food.

Discovering Napa Cabbage!
Cabbage is not used as a main course in my tradition. Just as a side dish and for few occations and most I know don´t like eating it. I do, but since not many others want it I have not used it so much either. But this year I have eaten a lot of cabbage as a main dish. Green cabbage, red cabbage, Chinese cabbage (Napa Cabbage). Mostly I have used Napa Cabbage since it is very low in carbohydrates. Also I found cabbage has a lot of A-vitamins. C-vitamins, it has iron and calcium and very few calories.



So what could I make from Napa Cabbage for instance! Well it is very common in China and I found some receipts that I have put in my foodblog. But I even use it in so many other ways that I make up myself. Starting with these two examples: Enjoy!

Visit my foodblog Inspired Cooking for recipts!

Woked Napa Cabbage with vinegar!


Sauted Napa Cabbage with saffron and roasted chestnuts!







Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar